Why you should blog
Whenever we're designing a new website we'll usually offer clients the ability to include a blog, and it's still surprising how few actually take us up on the offer.
Some don't see the point. Some think they've got nothing to say while others agree that it's a good idea but don't think they'll ever be able to put aside the time to do it consistently; and the world knows that there's nothing that says 'unloved' as much as a blog that hasn't been updated for a year or two.
But blogging doesn't have to be onerous or complicated, and it doesn't need to take up too much of your time. Here are a few tips to get you started.
- make your blog manageable by updating it just once a month
- keep it short - between 200 and 300 words is usually plenty
- keep it on topic - if your web site is about wedding hair and makeup then make sure that's front and centre of every post you write
- include links to longer articles on the same subjects or videos or Facebook pages and Pinterest boards
- remember that you can always write several blogs at once and then post them individually at a later date
- if you get a really good idea, try splitting it into two parts so your visitors come back for more
- include an RSS feed in the sidebar so that visitors can subscribe to your blog
So what are you waiting for?